Job Role: Communications & Events Manager
Location: To be confirmed – Central London
Role: We are seeking a highly motivated, creative and enthusiastic Communications & Events Manager to join the Capital Enterprise team. You will lead on the planning and delivery of a busy events schedule and will be responsible for all matters relating to brand and media communications.
We are London’s startup experts, connecting and energising a world-class entrepreneurship ecosystem. We are a body of connectors, influencers, investors and policy-makers, collaborating to super-charge London’s start-up scene. We exist to support entrepreneurs and businesses in London. We are mission-driven and a not-for profit organisation owned by, and run for the benefit of, members.
Capital Enterprise and its members provide a wide range of support services including advice, training, mentoring, accelerator programmes, specialist technical expertise, networking, soft loan finance and incubator accommodation to both pre-start and trading entrepreneurs and small businesses in all 33 London Boroughs.
Capital Enterprise is funded through members subscriptions, third party sponsorship and by income received from public/private sector partners to develop, pilot and manage innovative programmes that support enterprises and entrepreneurs in London.
OneTech Programme Summary
We want to create a movement to increase diversity in Tech and Digital startups by making startup support accessible to promising local founders.
This will be achieved by:
- Expanding the recruitment networks of, and reducing bias within, pre-accelerator, accelerator and investment readiness programmes through extensive outreach and engagement activity with minority communities
- Resourcing reserved places for founders from disadvantaged backgrounds (from the target boroughs) on pre-accelerator, accelerators and ’investment readiness’ programmes
- Using an ‘inspiration capital’ campaign to showcase the successful founders of BAME and female tech start-ups to the wider community,
- Developing and delivering a new ‘pay it forward’ mentor programme that will match “first time founders” with experienced founders and ex-entrepreneurs
- Researching – with both the investment community and with start-ups – how to address the unconscious bias in investment and what new approaches could be developed to help minority entrepreneurs access finance to build scalable businesses.
- Working with organisations like Diversity VC to commit investors in London to providing better access for BAME and female founders to investment
The programme is funded by JPMorgan and delivered in partnership with YSYS, TechNation, The Accelerator Network and Loughborough University London.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Being the guardian of the Capital Enterprise and OneTech branding
- Taking responsibility for the production of all marketing materials
- Ensuring that target audiences are being reached with the right content
- Owning social media channels and using initiative to drive the brand forward
- Creating monthly newsletters to inform startups and members of funding & growth opportunities, policy news and project updates
- Planning and delivery of ad-hoc programme marketing campaigns
- Proactively spotting and making the most of PR opportunities to deliver Capital Enterprise and OneTech messaging
- Taking ownership of design, content curation and development of the Capital Enterprise website
- Taking responsibility for the development and execution of Capital Enterprise’s event programme
- Working with the OneTech team and partners to oversee programme level events
- Collaborating with members, partners, programmes and stakeholders to plan relevant events
- Responsibility for all pre-event logistics and delivery, including 6-8 weekly member events & monthly startup networking events
- Generating creative ideas and themes to maximise the event experience
- Liaising with speakers and suppliers
- Managing media projects to generate media coverage in trade and national news outlets including writing press releases, blogs & social content.
- Proven experience of delivering events, marketing & PR campaigns and community management.
- Experience of content development, social media management and web-based applications
- Knowledge of and experience within the tech entrepreneurship ecosystem
- Experience of developing and delivering new ideas and processes
- Experience of applying creative PR techniques and of building and sustaining productive relationships with journalists, commentators and bloggers.
What are we looking for?
- Minimum 3 years of demonstrable communications/events experience
- A real self-starter who has a genuine passion for startups and the tech ecosystem.
- Ability to take charge and deliver on your own; be proactive and independent
- Excellent planning and organisation skills to combat multiple demands
- A confident communicator who excels at stakeholder management
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making ability
- Someone who is tech savvy with a working knowledge of wordpress, and experience in using Adobe (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
- Must be extremely detail oriented and execute tasks with great accuracy
- Creative with a good eye for design, needed for delivering branding work and content.
Salary will be £27,000- £30,000 depending on experience
Salary will be paid in monthly instalments
Appointments are subject to receipt of satisfactory references and a probationary period of 9 months.
Hours of Work
Full-time hours average 40 hours per week
You will be entitled to 20 working days annual leave plus bank holidays per annum, as well as additional time off between Christmas and New Year.
How to Apply
To apply for the vacancy send a CV and covering letter demonstrating why you are suitable for the role to Lizzy@capitalenterprise.org
Closing date for applications is 5pm on Wednesday 20th March 2019.