Company: Hyperion Development
Role: Back-end developer
Hyperion is recognised as one of the top education technology startups in Europe, Middle East, and Africa.
Founded by ex Googlers and graduates of the University of Cambridge, Hyperion was funded by Facebook and Google in 2017 – winning first prize in Facebook’s Africa Innovation Challenge Award. Hyperion works directly with Facebook’s senior leadership – right up to Mark Zuckerberg himself – and through its headquarters in London is recognised as a leading edtech startup in the UK.
Hyperion was founded with an ambition to scale human-led education in programming. We believe that machines can’t match humans, and learning to code is best achieved by having a coding educator review your code on a day-by-day basis.
Hyperion has built an online course platform that allows human code review to be scaled, applying this methodology to help thousands of students from over 30 countries learn how to code in a novel way.
As a back end developer intern you should have experience writing code in a high level programming language — preferably Python. You should be be a problem solver, who is able to discover and evaluate different solutions to the same problem. You should be eager to learn and grow your technical skill while contributing to the team.
You’ll work on building an exciting project in close collaboration with a small dev team. You will be involved at all stages of the process, from architecture and choice of technology to sprint planning and writing code. We work mainly in Python and Django, with Gitlab for issues and code reviews, and we run on AWS.
You will take initiative and responsibility for your work, reporting any problems along with proposed solutions. There is no micromanagement at Hyperion, although we provide all the guidance and training you need. You will work directly with the engineering lead in a fast-moving yet patient environment.
- Good knowledge of Python, or another high-level programming language
- Experience writing clean, documented code
- Experience with VCS (preferably git)
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A problem-solving and positive attitude
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Start-up mentality and the desire to see Hyperion succeed
- An interest in the future of education and online learning
- Experience integrating tools and APIs
- Experience with Django
- Ability and willingness to work on levels of a stack
- Experience with Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel, and/or Intercom
- Experience with Analytics and Tracking
How to apply: