Job Role: OneTech Talent Senior Community Manager
Location: to be confirmed – Central London
Role: Capital Enterprise is looking to recruit a Senior Community Manager to support the OneTech Talent programme. You will be tasked with supporting BAME and Female Founders from across London into the tech entrepreneurship ecosystem.
Duration: This role will last for 2 years
We are London’s start-up experts, connecting and energising a world-class entrepreneurship ecosystem. We are a body of connectors, influencers, investors and policy-makers, collaborating to super-charge London’s start-up scene. We exist to support entrepreneurs and businesses in London. We are mission-driven and a not-for profit organisation owned by, and run for the benefit of, members.
Capital Enterprise and its members provide a wide range of support services including advice, training, mentoring, accelerator programmes, specialist technical expertise, networking, soft loan finance and incubator accommodation to both pre-start and trading entrepreneurs and small businesses in all 33 London Boroughs.
Capital Enterprise is funded through members subscriptions, third party sponsorship and by income received from public/private sector partners to develop, pilot and manage innovative programmes that support enterprises and entrepreneurs in London.
OneTech Talent Summary
We want to create a movement to increase diversity in Tech and Digital start-ups. We want to change the face of London’s startups. As part of this we have been awarded a grant from the Mayor of London to deliver OneTech Talent.
OneTech Talent is an extension of OneTech, which specifically targets young (18-24 year old) BAME and Female Founders from across London. It will enable us to deliver the following:
- 1TT JOURNEY – An online community outreach & support platform which offers a one-stop shop for information, advice & support on London’s tech entrepreneurship ecosystem. Created by tech entrepreneurs, for tech entrepreneurs and people looking to learn from others experiences, Journey shares the stories of tech founders and creates personalised ‘journeys’ for would-be entrepreneurs and start up workers, showing them where to access the resources they need to get to the next stage.
- COMMUNITY OUTREACH and engagement activities – meet-ups, fireside chats, panels discussions etc.
- STARTUP WEEKENDS where participants will submit their startup ideas, work in teams to validate their ideas and compete for the chance to gain further business support.
- SKILLS WEEKENDS to grow key skills such as CV preparation, interview skills, product, design and coding workshops, job search and a speed dating session where participants seeking internships meet startups seeking interns.
- INTERNSHIPS (12 to 16 week) in some of London’s leading tech startups (based on a successful pilot run by CE in Summer 2018).
- A new PRE-ACCELERATOR delivered on Saturdays in a dedicated workspace physically & culturally accessible to the communities targeted.
- Coaching – Recognising that Tech does not offer a clear, linear pathway into entrepreneurship, 1TT will offer 1:1 SUPPORT to help beneficiaries access the provision they need to progress.
The project kicked off in January 2019 and, at least initially, runs until December 2020. Capital Enterprise is looking to appoint a Senior Community Manager to enable the programme to recruit and support young BAME and Female communities into tech startups – either as founders or as interns.
They will be accountable to Capital Enterprise’s CFAO and will work as part of a small and friendly team, building a network of contacts and colleagues across a range of partner organisations and institutions. This is a fantastic opportunity to get involved in a high profile activity supporting our ambitious plans to increase diversity in London’s start-up ecosystem.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Build relationships, onboard and integrate young people interested in tech entrepreneurship and startups into the OneTech programe. Assisting with the day-to-day programme operations
- Develop and maintain a network of relationships with community groups working closely with the 1TT target communities (e.g. FE Colleges, YSYS, 10x10, UKBlackTech, Level 20, Muslamic Makers, Girls Talk London, Black Girl Rules, Founder Vine, Witty Careers, Yena and Sup Academy)
- Generate content from and with the tech community for OneTech Journey and use the platform to develop a diverse pipeline of young people interested in tech entrepreneurship and signing up to the programme
- Develop and deliver a targeted social media advertising campaign (particularly through Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook) to stimulate interest in the programme and drive people into the 1TT Journey platform
- Develop creative content for #WeAreOneTech’s twitter and instagram feeds
- Develop, manage and maintain an Alumni Slack channel by providing engaging content and responding to queries
- Running regular face to face community engagement events / meet-ups to encourage them to access OneTech Journey and sign up to either StartUp or Skills Weekends
- Oversee (with the OneTech Head of Delivery) the development and delivery of 2 Skills Weekends and 2 StartUp Weekends, including organizing content, communications and logistics
- Track and provide evidence of support provided to young entrepreneurs to meet GLA funding requirements (monthly progress reports)
- Create new ways to engage with 1000 young people to support their journey into tech entrepreneurship or startups
- Proven experience of delivering events, marketing campaigns and community management.
- Knowledge of and experience within the tech entrepreneurship ecosystem
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Flexible with high levels of commitment
- Ability to multi-task and willingness to help with whatever may be needed
- Ability to take charge and deliver on your own; be proactive and independent
- Detail Oriented: must be extremely detail oriented and execute tasks with great accuracy
- Ability to work on own initiative, with minimal supervision and able to prioritise own workload
- Excellent use of all Microsoft Office-suite programmes and avid skillful user of social media.
- Tact and discretion in the handling of highly confidential and sensitive information
- A high level of accuracy and consistent attention to detail
- Ability to successfully manage a variety of tasks to deadline and to work calmly under pressure
- Ability to communicate well with people from all backgrounds and develop / maintain effective working relationships
- Experience of event coordination and/or marketing and communications
- Experience of project administration and support
- Passion and commitment to diversity
Salary will be £32,500 to £38,000 depending on experience
Salary will be paid in monthly instalments
Appointments are subject to receipt of satisfactory references and a probationary period of 9 months.
Hours of Work
Full time hours average 40 hours per week
You will be entitled to 20 working days annual leave plus bank holidays per annum, as well as additional time off between Christmas and New Year.
How to Apply
To apply for the vacancy send a CV and a cover letter to Lizzy@capitalenterprise.org
The closing date for applications is 17:00 on 25 January 2019 and interviews will be held on 7 February 2019.